Saturday, April 02, 2011

Reaching Out Together with the Red Cross

I bought quite a few vintage gems recently...and I've been waiting for their arrival so that I could do a fundraiser for the Red Cross. I know with so many crises going on, great organizations like the Red Cross are strained. I want to do something manageable and something simple. And the reason I waited until now is because so often, we tend to jump in to help in a crisis situation right at the very beginning, but then life gets in the way and our focus is redirected elsewhere. It isn't our fault, really. Life just happens. We get caught up in our own worlds.
When my step father died more than 25 years ago, people came from all around to help....and in the Deep South, what people did to help was bring food. LOTS of food. I was 14, and deeply grief stricken...and all I could remember seeing the next week or so after his death was literally every surface of our home covered with bowls of salads, casseroles, cakes, pies, bread, meat, sandwich fixin's....and I think food was the last thing on our minds. We had to eat though, each visitor would say.  Cooking wasn't really on the agenda either, so the food was really nice to have and bless all of the sweet sweet folks for bringing it. Truly. That is just what a good Southern neighbor did...and we had a lot of them. But what about later? When all the old food had to be tossed and the funeral was over and the flowers and cards stopped arriving and everyone went back to their everyday lives....and we were still floundering around inside of grief and uncertainty and heartache?
Then would have been the time for someone to come around and offer food, or to cook or wash clothes or help in some way. And actually, a few folks really did. And it was a comfort, but time went on...
Those of us who have suffered deep, deep loss completely understand why I waited to do a fundraiser now. A month after the earthquake in Japan. I don't expect to make a whole ton of money, but whatever money we give now is right where it is needed the most. Well, that's just the way I see it I guess.

So, for the next month or so, I am offering all of the proceeds from the sale of these earrings in my Etsy shop to be allotted to the Red Cross. You get something beautiful to give as a gift, or keep for yourself, and we both feel like we've helped in some way...even the smallest way helps. It really does.
 If you aren't a fan of the color in the listing photo, I have other options. Just leave your choice of the following colors in the message to seller at checkout on etsy. If you don't see the listing, just wait a moment for me to renew it. The price is right for these beauties and I'm hoping you will spread the word! They will each come sweetly wrapped. I will also ship to another address if you'd like that.

the colors available right now are:
Siam red
Smokey topaz (lovely brown color)
Plum
Light Pink
Aquamarine
Peridot
Light Amethyst
Montana Sapphire
montana sapphire
If you don't really want the earrings and you'd just prefer to donate,  click here to be taken to the Red Cross donation site.
Thank you for your help!
Blessings to You and Yours,
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea!! Jennifer, you have such a sweet heart and you doing this is such a great idea. I absolutely love love love mine and if anyone is thinking of buying don't waste one moment! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Please know that I am deeply grateful for your presence here.