Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Georgian Jeweled Collet with Contemporary Style, Inspired by Anna Wintour

I didn't know anything about Anna Wintour until several months ago, when a dear customer requested a necklace much like one that she wore. This was one of the first sets of the Georgian Collet/ Anna Wintour inspired necklaces I ever created, in deep plum purple and citrine.



From what I've learned Anna Wintour is the Head of Vogue Magazine, and has a lovely collection of antique Georgian Collet and Edwardian jeweled necklaces that are much coveted by fashioistas and collectors all over the world.
I had no idea such necklaces even existed until I "googled" her name (after she was mentioned to me) and saw her in many different photographs, always wearing sometimes two or three of these jeweled gorgeous Georgian necklaces at a time. I set out to create the same look, without the same price tag...actual antique Georgian necklaces are upwards of 2,000.00.
I began receiving requests for other colors like peridot and aqua and pale yellow...in different shapes. The most popular being the large octagon shape and the medium sized oval. They look smashing when worn together, and the color combinations I've seen from the requests by my Etsy customers have been amazing. I learn a lot from them!
peridot green vintage jewel collet style necklace
aquamarine, georgian necklace, anna wintour, sacred cake
aquamarine vintage jewels with antiqued brass settings
pale yellow, citrine, georgian, vintage, necklace, statement necklace
Pale Spring Yellow and Citrine
sapphire, georgian, necklace, anna wintour, sacred cake, jennifer valentine
Vintage Sapphire colored Rhinestones and Silver plated settings


So with a little bit of research, and a little bit of time. I've found out about the origins and prices of some of the real Georgian Collet necklaces, worn by real queens in real fairy tales...with prices that only queens could afford!

     I have really loved  creating these lately...it is a lot like playing dress up, no? My husband once told me, when I felt doubtful that jewelry was an "important" thing to create, that wearing jewelry is all about having FUN. I never thought of it that way really. Before I began making these sparkling jewel necklaces, jewelry was a bit more of a serious endeavor for me I guess...heavy with meaning and the resurrection of the old. I rather like his interpretation...I mean, the fun-ness of it...draping vintage jewels around your neck to add a little sparkle...a little fun going into getting dressed. For myself, I have chosen a lovely vintage pale pink called Rosaline (coming very soon to my ESTY shop.) I still love making the assemblage necklaces and earrings I am "known" for, and these vintage "bling" necklaces look quite lovely mixed with other typed of necklaces...particularly a longer chain style or even layers of pearls.
simple pale yellow and rosaline jewel necklace

pale yellow, citrine and grape

clear vintage rhinestones with silver settings

     I've been having lots of fun with color lately! These particular collet style necklaces are created to be worn just around the base of your neck, about 16-18". I make them 16" with a 2" extender. I am a larger gal, so a 17" looks just right for me. I am working on designs that can be worn much longer, soon to come! Do you have favorite color combinations you'd like to share? Do tell!

     In other news, I was quite surprised to see one of my assemblage necklaces published in the current issue of Jewelry Affaire Magazine. I feel so fortunate to be involved with such an amazing and creative publication. It is a wonderful magazine full of very talented jewelry artists and I am so honored to be included there. If you'd like a preview, you can find it here~

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend. Thank you for your visit today!
Many Blessings to You and to Yours,
Jennifer Valentine of Sacred Cake
 

If you'd like to see more of these necklaces, click photo just above to be taken to my shop!

8 comments:

  1. these necklaces are gorgeous and lush. they feel like abundance to me. abundant goodness! congratulations on the magazine feature too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad you chose the Rosaline for yourself...i cant wait to see my very own Rosaline. Looking at these gorgeous pictures makes me think Im going to have to collect them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH BOY Meghan...You will LOVE the Rosaline! It is sooooo beautiful...

      Delete
  3. ahhhhh rosaline!
    everything looks lovely, as always xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina,so wonderful to see you here! And such a compliment coming from you, whom I admire SO much. I feel the same way about rosaline...aaaaahhhhh!
      I have a new serious obsession with pink.

      Delete
  4. I love it when I find a new artist that I really LOVE and can obsess over for a while. These are gorgeous pieces! They create a real feeling of generosity and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kerri! I love that...Generosity....and beauty....exactly what I like!
      xox

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Please know that I am deeply grateful for your presence here.