Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sailing and Ascension, every piece tells a story...

The Secretary's Ascension
The Secretary's Ascention
I made this assemblage necklace with thoughts of my sweet mother...who since as long as I've been alive, has made work and much sacrifice of being a secretary and bookkeeper. She began in Washington D.C. as a page with a little black metal typewriter on her desk, and in her 20's, we migrated to the south, where i spent most of my life. Every day after school I called her...and in the background, I'd hear the chatter of the keys on her typewriter...over the years, as technology progressed, the keys would become quieter and quieter still...and I was, and still am, sincerely amazed at the speed of which she can type and simultaneously converse. Each time I see an eraser wheel such as this, i think of her...long ago...leaning forward to erase a wayward letter, while thinking of me and longing to be home. 

My mother has finally taken the leap she has been dreaming of forever. A move toward the Oregon coast, away from the oppressive heat of the south. A move that she has dreamed of for years. This necklace is a bit of a homage to her, and her brave flight toward a new life.


Sailing to Byzantium
Years ago, during my first attempt at college in Washington State, I nervously sat down in a class called British Literature. One of the first poems we read was "Sailing to Byzantium" by William Butler Yeats. I fell instantly in love with discussing literature, and the lives of ancient poets. Here is an excerpt from the poem:















"Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium Of what is past, or passing, or to come."

I think of that poem and those first amazing college days each time I create something with a boat...
You can read the remaining parts of the poem here, at POETS.ORG

3 comments:

  1. Not just beautifully created jewelry, this is an homage to your mother with words as well as the love of your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your creations are fabulous! Love them... keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jenn, what a beautiful post about your mother. as much as i love rhinestone bling, i think my favorite piece is the boat! something very special about it and i have loved it from the first time i saw it. are you too going to make the trek west? i hope so. love your work! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Please know that I am deeply grateful for your presence here.