Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sailing and Ascension, every piece tells a story...

The Secretary's Ascension
The Secretary's Ascention
I made this assemblage necklace with thoughts of my sweet mother...who since as long as I've been alive, has made work and much sacrifice of being a secretary and bookkeeper. She began in Washington D.C. as a page with a little black metal typewriter on her desk, and in her 20's, we migrated to the south, where i spent most of my life. Every day after school I called her...and in the background, I'd hear the chatter of the keys on her typewriter...over the years, as technology progressed, the keys would become quieter and quieter still...and I was, and still am, sincerely amazed at the speed of which she can type and simultaneously converse. Each time I see an eraser wheel such as this, i think of her...long ago...leaning forward to erase a wayward letter, while thinking of me and longing to be home. 

My mother has finally taken the leap she has been dreaming of forever. A move toward the Oregon coast, away from the oppressive heat of the south. A move that she has dreamed of for years. This necklace is a bit of a homage to her, and her brave flight toward a new life.


Sailing to Byzantium
Years ago, during my first attempt at college in Washington State, I nervously sat down in a class called British Literature. One of the first poems we read was "Sailing to Byzantium" by William Butler Yeats. I fell instantly in love with discussing literature, and the lives of ancient poets. Here is an excerpt from the poem:















"Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium Of what is past, or passing, or to come."

I think of that poem and those first amazing college days each time I create something with a boat...
You can read the remaining parts of the poem here, at POETS.ORG