Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Winged Heart Art


This is where is all began for me...the first pieces of artwork I ever made involved hearts with paper and wire wings, and sometimes messily sewn fabric ones, back in 1999. The wire elements were inspired by one of my favorite artists, Brian Andreas.  I was fortunate enough to be featured in the wonderful book, Taking Flight, which featured an article with a mirrored piece I did with the same signature paper and wire wings. Cloth Paper Scissors featured an article about me and my work (the first time i was ever published in a magazine!), and I just found an image of my work on their Pinterest board! So nice to see those again...they have long since been given away or sold...but seeing my assemblage work inspires me to want do this again. Assemblage jewelry and art is my heartbeat made tangible. Broken pieces made whole and beautiful again....that is me. It refreshes my spirit to read these old interviews...my heart is still the same kind of heart. I still want the same things from life. I still want to make a difference in the world, even in the smallest ways. Perhaps the smallest ways are best.

photo by Jennifer Valentine,  "Writing in Books"click to visit link
Did I ever tell you how much I love old pencils? I think about the history they hold. Writings I'll never see...signatures, tests, apology letters...I love that about old things. They have stories to tell if we are just quiet enough to listen. This piece required me to very carefully drill holes through the tops of  about 15 old pencils! The wings were actually those cheap puffy fabric wings that I painted with a paint that you can rust.

Below is a heart from years ago (my mother's heart) that was featured on KellyRaeRoberts.Com. It was for an interview and It is made with old garter straps and stained up fabric from an old ironing board (I think i still have some of that.). Oh, how I love old raggedy fabric!
image by Kelly Rae Roberts, click for article

I used the same kind of silver thread for my hearts for years until the last bit left the spool...and I have not been able to find the same thread since. Would you like to learn to make the paper and wire wings? I was thinking about a little tutorial. It isn't as hard as it might seem. I have a little suitcase FULL of old, yellowed tissue paper that I have found stuffed inside old hats at garage sales and various places. This has really got me going now...i feel some more heart art coming on!

Here are a couple more paper and wire winged pieces featured years ago on Lovely Liz Lamoreux's blog back in 2009, when she did an interview with me (SO honored.)!

"Leaving" by Jennifer Valentine
"Flying Irony" by Jennifer Valentine




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Please know that I am deeply grateful for your presence here.