Saturday, October 09, 2010

The Sweet Spot




On Thursday, I took Christian to his lesson. I inquired as to whether Nikki, his teacher, who was a concert cellist for the Kalamazoo Symphony, would teach an adult the cello....she said yes. And I said yes. I have always loved the cello and always made excuses as to why I could not afford lessons. Now, how can I afford not to?
...and the quiet out there reminds me of a time, long ago in the South, when country life became such a part of me forever....when the sun set right outside my kitchen window and nothing but the sound of the wind in the trees could be heard for miles.... fistfuls of wildflowers and the depth of the night sky,  and sleeping with the door wide open. The little white house we lived in at the end of that dirt road in Florida was a magic place....I still visit it in my dreams. Life was so much simpler then. It had to be.
Being out there at Nikki's little white house each Thursday refreshes my spirit so....this past Thursday I played with puppies. I ate concord grapes right off the vine. I felt the Autumn wind as it blew through my hair and I felt the sun on my face; I walked the expanse of open fields and felt the mesmerizing power of the arms of trees....and always....always.....I think of her.
My best friend back home, who I haven't seen for years. But I can feel her always. Even if we don't talk for months, she is there in everything I do. Everything I see...in the bright colors of glazed pottery and in the stillness of the day. Our imaginary conversations sustain me and I am held up by her spirit when I feel myself stumble.
My Spider Princess...I'm loving you still.
 I love the smell of puppies...
It reminds me of being a little girl again.


I'd love to hear your favorite memory of your best friend or a favorite place. Won't you share it?