Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Decorating Ideas with Vintage Jewelry


Just fun kind of post about what I've been doing with some vintage jewelry as home decor! Vintage jewelry can be found so many places...garage sales are probably the cheapest place, followed by thrift stores, flea markets and then antique shops. Also, online one Etsy and ebay!
The vintage rhinestone necklace stash above has come from several years of picking them up for a dollar or two, or tangled in one of the bags of junk jewelry I've purchased to make my assemblage jewelry out of.
My first idea was to use the vintage necklaces as curtain tie backs~
vintage rhinestone necklace tie back
vintage brooch, vintage multistrand curtain decor
 I use old  shabby pieces of lace held in place by vintage brooch to disguise an ugly lampshade, and an old multistrand vintage pearl necklace (bought for a song) to use to hold the curtain back from the window. I made a pendant lamp out of antique lace scraps as well. Here is the lace pendant lamp idea.
I love very shabbiest of things, and this old lace dress is a favorite that graces an old painted door that leads to the laundry room and storage area. Notice at the top of the hanger, I have put an old brooch. Very easy. Just close the brooch and slide the brooch over the end of the vintage hanger. This is a great way to display special jewelry that would otherwise be languishing unseen in a box somewhere. Behind the dress  is a holey old lace table cloth I added for more texture. I think when decorating with lots of shades of white, it is important to have layers and lots of texture.
The little felt and button heart pocket was a gift from my mother, and seems to go perfectly with this little vignette.
antique dress with vintage dry cleaner hanger and pearly brooch
for us, the shabbier, the better!


My husband and I both love super shabby things in shades of white mostly. We are slowly renovating our old home, but that doesn't mean that it can't be  enjoyed and decorated in fun ways in the meantime! I found a fun use for the pile of vintage necklaces, that I combined with the chandelier in my studio, which is already festooned with antique "Willow" children's tea set pieces and old chandelier crystals. The antique chandelier is from the early 1920's, and came with a gorgeous slag glass marble held in the center by long leaves of metal. I'm still considering painting it white eventually.
antique chandelier, tin Willow plates, rhinestone necklaces
assemblage chandelier with rhinestone necklaces and children's toys
The chandelier looks much better "in real life"...very sparkly! I don't have the best kind of camera...just a point and shoot type. As you can see, the ceiling is missing from the studio! I kind of like it, but I'm thinking it needs something else...maybe old doors or window frames? I'm thinking old linens and some tacks. I'm SO not wanting to do sheet-rock. Lord save me from sheet rock!

The butterfly mobile in the background came from a favorite Etsy shop called Royal Buffet. Mollie, the owner, has also written a wonderful book on paper craft which  I LOVE, (did I mention I am a paper hoarder?) 
Mollie's book is called ~ Make & Do: Paper Fascinations for Every Lovely Occasion.

antique mirror with paper garland and old brooch

 I often festoon mirrors and picture frames with broken brooches. The one above is a big rhinestone brooch that I glued on to a piece of filigree, then attached it tothe mirror with a tiny nail. The garland is something I made years ago for Christmas, but I like it so much I left it up. It says "Joyeux"...French word for "Joyous". I love the juxtaposition of sparkly things with shabby things.
I hope you like these ideas.. Please share them with friends. I'd love to hear your ideas as well!

Blessings to You and Yours,
Jennifer Valentine of Sacred Cake

4 comments:

  1. I love the chandelier idea! I bet it looks really pretty with the lights on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does! and I have started old lace tablecloths in the livingroom! that's coming soon...
      thank you for your comment Kerri!
      xox

      Delete
    2. I love the tie-backs. omg- you've fancified your blog sooooo much!!!! it looks so super professional and... confusing... but you can change the view style and everything!!!! Sheesh. I feel so behind the times....
      Awesome as always...

      Delete
    3. You think too confusing Fanci? Not sure I love it quite yet...not enough eye candy all at once I guess...we'll see...

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Please know that I am deeply grateful for your presence here.