Friday, August 20, 2010

Buddha and a Church Lady for Free Friday

The handwriting is from a long and skinny antique ledger kept by a woman for a church describing the daily events...I love the handwriting so much... she gently writes of gatherings and food, baptisms and visits and tithes and such. Old ledgers are one of my most favorite paper things.
The next picture is from an old text book about Japan. I've always wanted to travel there. My Great Grandfather spent some time in Okanawa after the war and his whole house was infused with the orient. My most favorite thing was his collection of chopstick rests. Though I am a Christian, my thoughts are also infused with the teachings of Buddha...I even have several Buddha statues in my home. The serene expressions on their faces, a constant reminder of peace.