Friday, July 09, 2010

In Memory of Bees, a vintage assemblage necklace


It was the summer of '04 I remember. We were on one of our grand adventures when we found them...row after row of beat up bee hives...down a winding dirt road we found by happenstance, wasn't it? I got so close I could hear the deep buzzing and I could see the comings and the goings of the bees. They were all around me.

You shouldn't get so close, you said.
And I said, I want to get closer...I want to just crawl inside the big white box with them and touch their soft bellies and the feel tiny wing-beat breeze on my skin.
I said I'd never been stung in all the years I'd known them.
And you said, but you are making me nervous. You need to come back to the car now.
And the bees must have felt it because at that moment I got stung right on the left nostril.

I was so worried for you; you said. I thought you were so foolish getting so close to those bees. They could have killed you, you know.
And I said, sometimes you have to take a chance like that to be a part of something so beautiful. And now I have the memory of all those glorious bees, I said....all of those bees.
 ( This necklace is for sale in my Etsy shop here.)

5 comments:

  1. "To take a chance...to be a part of something so beautiful." What a sublime sentence; what a sublime thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popped by to see you after seeing your article in Somerset Life. Love your work!!

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer...I know you must be a beautiful person and it shows through your writing and your vintage jewelry. I too love discarded or old things left behind. What I always think of is someone saved this for a reason, now I have it and I am supposed take care of it for them. I have so many things left by my grandparents, mother, and Uncle that I cannot use it all. I want to pass it on to others that love old things and can maybe use it. I hope to have items on a new etsy shop soon. I am a big fan of your sister too. And now of yours.
    Debbie Williams
    omzblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little nostril! lol

    "sometimes you have to take a chance like that to be a part of something so beautiful"

    *Deep sigh of relaxation* Love this whole story! I'm getting ready for sleep soon... This was the perfect bedtime story! Thank you for sharing <3

    xo, Carissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Please know that I am deeply grateful for your presence here.